This circulating collection of contemporary comics and graphic novels from Japan and Korea is housed in Van Pelt Library (in the East Asia Comics section on the fifth floor) and intended for language learners and international students alike to enjoy. The Japanese component of the collection has a special focus on LGBT characters and stories, while the Korean manhwa collection is largely composed of comics that originally appeared online. Several of the series also feature food and cooking (such as Sikkaek 食客 and Kinō nani tabeta? きのう何食べた?).
To the East Asia Comics Collection!
You can find the collection on the far west end of the fifth floor of Van Pelt Library (in the East Asia stacks), following the signs to the area. It is located "behind" the oversize collection at the very end of the stacks.
Some notable and popular titles in the comics collection, alongside their DVD and Blu-Ray counterparts, include:
- Death Note [plus DVDs of Death Note L, change the world; Death Note (film); Death Note 2 (film); and Death Note (series)]
- Otōto no Otto 弟の夫 [serialized as an NHK drama in 2018 and translated as My Brother's Husband]
- Ansatsu Kyōshitsu 暗殺教室
- Jūhan Shuttai! 重版出来! [also see Jūhan Shuttai TV series on Blu-Ray]
- Sabishisugite rezu fūzoku ni ikimashita repo さびしすぎてレズ風俗に行きましたレポ [translated as My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness]
- Tezuka Osamu Manga Zenshū 手塚治漫画全集 [also see anime adaptations in our video holdings]
- Works by Taniguchi Jirō
- Sikkaek 食客 [we also have the films Sikkaek and Sikkaek 2]
- Ikki 이끼
- Misaeng 미생 [we also have the TV series]