- 3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia PA 19104-6206
Weekdays until 6pm
- To enter the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center, visitors must show a valid PennCard or a current, valid government or school-issued photo I.D. that contains an expiration date.
- Registered courtesy borrowers must show their library-issued borrower's card and a valid photo ID.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Visitors who do not hold a PennCard and who are not a member of an affiliated institution will be asked to sign in. A copy of their identification documents will be made and a Visitor Badge will be issued. The information obtained from the I.D. will be used only for security and/or law enforcement purposes when necessary.
Evenings after 6pm/weekends/holidays
- Access is restricted. Patrons must show identification in one of the following categories:
- Valid PennCard or Penn Alumni Card
- Library Courtesy Card accompanied by a valid photo I.D.
- Valid photo I.D. from Drexel, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Swarthmore, a Borrow Direct Plus Partner, or a Research Libraries Group Shares Member
- An institutional I.D. from HUP, CHOP, Pennsylvania or Presbyterian Hospitals, or a hospital affiliate of the University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Penn students who wish to bring guests into the library weekday evenings or on the weekend, must request a Visitor’s Pass in advance of the visit. Please email Access Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, during Access Services office hours and we will direct your request to the appropriate department: Monday - Friday 9a-4:30.
- Individuals attending an event, or visiting an exhibit, must display a valid photo ID.
- Sponsored guests using a specific collection must display a valid photo ID, as well as have a guest pass sent to the security desk ahead of time. If a researcher is traveling to Penn to use one of our unique collections, they must get their library liaison to fill out a guest pass for them. See the Directory of Subject Specialists to contact a library liaison.
- Development Officers (with valid Penn Card) and their Guests (with Valid Photo ID).
- Evening & weekend use of the Goldstein Undergraduate Study Center is restricted to PennCard holders.
Public Access to U.S. Government and U.N. Depository Documents
As a Federal Depository Library Program participant, the Penn Libraries make U.S. government documents received through the depository program available for the free use of the general public. Please read about access.
Access for Penn-affiliated visitors, guests, & visiting groups
Alumni are encouraged to obtain a Penn Alumni Card, which will provide unrestricted access to Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center, excluding 24 hour access to Goldstein Undergraduate Study Center. Information on securing a card and on library services for alumni is available at guides.library.upenn.edu/alumniservices/visiting.
Guests of Penn students:
Penn students who wish to bring guests into the library weekday evenings or on the weekend, must request a Visitor’s Pass in advance of the visit. Please email Access Services at email@example.com, during Access Services office hours and we will direct your request to the appropriate department: Monday - Friday 9a-4:30. Requests can also be made via telephone to the Van Pelt Library Circulation Department at 215-898-7566 Monday-Friday before 4:30p. Thank you!
Children of Penn faculty, staff, & students:
Children may enter the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center when accompanied by a parent or guardian with a valid I.D. as described above. Children in the Library Center must remain accompanied by their parent or guardian at all times.
Elementary, middle, & high school students:
The Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center is not open for use by individual elementary, middle, or high school students. Students who need to use depository documents should read about access at www.library.upenn.edu/about/access/policies/govdocs.
Prospective students & their families:
The library welcomes prospective Penn students and their families to visit the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center. To make arrangements, Please send a request or phone 215-898-7555
The accessible entrance of Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center opens into the Goldstein Undergraduate Study Center. This entrance is on the ground floor of the building facing Blanche P. Levy Park. A wheelchair accessible doorbell is located on the railing leading toward the door.